Hand luggage: dimensions, liquids, food
Passengers of Murcia airport are allowed to check-in their luggage according to the booked class and the fare class rules. They are also allowed to take with them some small, lightweight objects, with determined dimensions into the airplane cabin: these objects are qualified as hand luggage.
Hand luggage consists of two pieces: one personal article and one carry-on luggage. The carry-on luggage has to fit into the device for hand luggage allowance, situated next to the check-in desks. Please make sure that it does not exceed the following measurements:114 cm (56 x 35 x 23 cm) or 22'' length x 14'' width x 9'' depth.
The check-in of the rest of your luggage must be done at the counter assigned to your airline.
Some low-cost airlines reduce hand luggage to a single small piece that must fit under the front seat, having to pay or upgrade the ticket to board the second piece of luggage (the largest) in the cabin, or having to check-in, sometimes free of charge, at the check-in counter. Check with your airline.
In this section:
In accordance with the safety regulations, passengers may pass the filters or security checkpoints before they access to the restricted safety areas of the airport as boarding areas, boarding gates and passenger-only zones. These security checkpoints consist of metal-detector arches for the passengers and X-ray detectors for their luggage. Both systems might be carried out manually if the security staff members so decide. If your hand luggage is a personal computer, or another electronic device, you usually will be asked to take it out of its protection case in order to be examined.Liquids are accepted or discarded during this control.
Hand luggage restrictions
Passengers are forbidden from taking articles to the security restricted area -or to aircraft cabin, which might constitute a risk for the health of other passengers, the crew and the safety of the aircraft and the cargo. Such items must be included at check-in as baggage and / or applied to them the relevant procedure to be accepted on board. Otherwise, the security staff can requisition. Security staff may also deny access to the boarding area and the aeroplane cabin to any passenger in possession of an object which, even if not considered forbidden, arouses their suspicions.
Do never check in or transport any luggage from unknown persons for your own safety and for the safety of other passengers.
Liquids, baby food or baby milk
In 2006 the European Union established a series of restrictions concerning transport of liquids and gels on board of aircrafts.
These restrictions apply to all passengers, departing from airports of the European Union, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland - independent of their countries of destination. The limitations refer to the quantity of liquids or products of a similar consistency, passengers are allowed to transport in their hand luggage.
The regulations allow passengers to take liquids in their hand luggage, under the condition that:
- The liquids must be transported in individual containers with a capacity of less than 100 ml.
- These containers must be carried in a resealable, transparent plastic bag (for its easy inspection), with a capacity of not more than 1 litre. Maximum one bag per passenger.
The following list indicates the kind of liquids you may transport in your hand luggage as long as meet the conditions:
- Water and other beverages
- juice, soup, syrup, the content of baby bottles, yoghurt, body lotion, baby food.
- Food or special liquids
- for medical diets or special nutrition.
- Paste and creams
- toothpaste, cream and lotion, oil, perfume...
- shower gel, shampoo and hair gel...
- Pressurized containers (aerosol or sprays)
- deodorant, shaving cream, hair cosmetic, hairspray, and other products of similar consistency.
These limitations apply only to products, the passengers bring with them. Passengers can purchase these liquids after passing the security checkpoints, in the duty free shops of the airport and also on board of the aircraft. If you buy these products in sealed bags, please don't open them until you finished your journey. If you are planning to continue your journey to another international airport, don't open the sealed bag until you have left the last airport.
These security measurements only affect the luggage you carry with you inside the aircraft or in your hand luggage. All previously mentioned articles can be transported in your checked luggage.
If you need to travel with solid medicines, it is recommended that you carry them in your hand luggage. Accompany them with the prescription, medical prescription, or specific justification of the passenger's condition, in case the security staff may require it during the security control.
All liquid medication is excluded from the restrictions, affecting the transport of liquids in hand luggage, if its usage is indispensable for the passenger during the journey and possible extensions: outward flight + stay + return flight.
Even if the regulations for liquids do not apply in this case, all liquid medication should be demonstrated to the security staff, apart from the transparent plastic bag, used for the transport of other liquids.
In case that you need to transport other types of medical devices such as syringes for diabetics, measurement devices, etc., we recommend you to get the correspondent information about the specific regulations of your airline company prior to your flight.
Any object or item which constitute a risk for the health of other passengers, the crew and the safety of the aircraft and the cargo, must be included at check-in as baggage and / or applied to them the relevant procedure to be accepted on board. There is no a specify or definitive list of dangerous objects due of its ambiguity (rods, tripods, sports accessories ...). The final decision rests with the security staff. If you have doubts about some object, please access the security control enough in advance.
- General dangerous objects
- Pointed, sharp or blunt objects that could be used to intimidate, attack or threaten the safety.
- Other dangerous objects
- Any other which constitute a risk for the health of passengers or crew.
- Any other which constitute a risk the safety of the aircraft and the cargo.
Remember that even if your airline accepts certain ambiguous items as carry-on baggage, these may not be allowed into the security area at subsequent security checks, or vice versa.
Chemical and toxic substances
The following articles may neither be transported in your hand luggage, nor stored in the luggage department:
- Acids and alkalis (for example, wet batteries that could cause spills).
- Corrosive or whitening substances (mercury, chlorine, etc.).
- Disabling or incapacitating sprays (mace, pepper spray, tear gas, etc.).
- Radioactive material (for example, isotopes for medical or commercial use).
- Infectious materials or those that constitute a biological hazard (for example, contaminated blood, bacteria or viruses).
- Materials with spontaneous ignition or combustion capacity.
- Fire extinguishers.
Security authorities may deny the transport of any hold luggage, containing an article arousing their suspicion, even if it is not listed.
If you intend to transport firearms, you must contact the airport's Weapons Intervention Department at the airport in order to receive the corresponding authorization. All kind of firearms should be wrapped in an appropriate case; they will be returned to you at the Weapons Intervention Department of your destination airport upon delivery of the authorization obtained at origin.
The objects described below may not be transported as hand luggage and must therefore be checked in.
- Any type of firearms: pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, etc.
- Replica or imitation firearms or blank cartridges.
- Firearm parts (except ordinary or telescopic sights).
Other types of weapons
- Air pistols, air rifles and pellet guns.
- Signal flare pistols.
- Starter pistols.
- Toy guns of all types (BB gun, etc.).
- Industrial bolt and nail guns.
- Crossbows, slings, harpoon and spear guns.
- Slaughterhouse guns or devices that stun or provoke shock, such as cattle prods or laser guns.
- Cigarette lighters or other lighters that imitate firearms.
Weapons Intervention Department (Intervención de armas)
Passenger Terminal level 0, baggage claim hall.
Get additional information about forbidden articles in your hand luggage or your checked baggage at aeropuertosenred.com .